Review: Hincapie Gran Premio Jersey and Shorts/Bibs
So you've been watching the Tour this month and dream of riding like Big George Hincapie? That may not be possible, but you can sure look and feel like him and his BMC teammates with a new kit out from Hincapie Sportswear, the Gran Premio line of jersey and shorts/bibs. It's the exact same cycling wear that you see dressed in this month racing on the hills and flats of France, just without the BMC specific graphics.
Same fabric, construction and patterns worn by the BMC Racing Team
New out this year from Hincapie Sportswear, the Gran Premio Jersey and Short for men & women uses the same fabric, construction and patterns worn by the BMC Racing Team. With a designer focus on aerodynamics and comfort, the Gran Premio line utilizes a proprietary TourTrek fabric to reduce drag coupled with a specialized stretch mesh for ventilation and quick-drying performance.
The Hincapie Gran Premio summer weight short sleeve cycling jersey comes with a full length zipper for excellent ventilation and to make it easier to slip the top on and off over bib shorts. It also features three rear pockets, reflective accents, and UVA/UVB protection. And the broad mesh shoulder straps are cool and comfortable on your shoulders.
Other Jersey Features
- Super-fine TourTek jersey fabric wicks moisture away from the skin
- Aerodynamic pattern hugs the body to reduce drag & maximize performance
- Accelerator stretch mesh provides flexible ventilation and quick drying performance
- SPF 30+ construction for superior UVA/UVB protection
- Smooth no-elastic sleeve openings & comfort collar construction
The Gran Premio jersey is $89.99.
Hincapie Gran Premio Bib Shorts
The Hincapie Gran Premio Bib Shorts are built using multiple fabric panels for an ergonomic fit and feature a seamless, multi-density chamois insert with pressure-relieving center channel that offers comfort even on the longest mileage days. Related article: bibs or regular bike shorts - which do you prefer?
The same stretch mesh used in the jersey is also incorporated into these bibs for flexible ventilation and quick dry times, while smartly constructed multi-panel compression fabric in the bib legs supports and stabilizes muscles to reduce fatigue.
Other Hincapie Gran Premio bib short features
- Durable, 225g AT2 Tour Lycra Power provides compressive support to stabilize muscles and reduce fatigue
- Lightweight AT2 Transition Lycra moves and conforms to the body for the perfect fit
- Textured DimpleTek speed fabric reduces air resistance over the fabric surface for an aerodynamic advantage
- SPF 50+ by construction for superior UVA/UVB protection
- Soft, aerating power stretch Diamond Mesh upper dries quickly to help regulate temperature
- Sleek DimpleTek comfort leg band
Hincapie Gran Premio Bib Shorts are $109.99.
Related article: How to stay cool when riding even on the hottest days
Technical Specifications of Material
The Hincapie Gran Premio cycling kit features the same material, fabric and pattern worn by the BMC Racing Team
- AT2 Tour Lycra© Power: Durable sublimation-ready polyester and Lycra© Power yarns blend to provide a supple yet durable fit that moves with your body while retaining shape and firmness. At 225gsm, this fabric is the perfect blend of compressive support and performance.
- AT2 Transition Lycra: Lightweight and durable ribbed polyester provides a flexible fit that moves and conforms to the body. Ribbed construction helps promote rapid dry time with uncompromised durability.
- Diamond Mesh: Aerating power stretch tricot mesh with open eyelet construction which provides excellent moisture management and temperature regulation. Soft hand conforms to the body for unsurpassed fit and performance.DimpleTek™: This eyelet mesh combines polyester and spandex yarns in a unique dimpled power stretch mesh, resulting in excellent moisture management and perspiration dispersion. The smaller eyelet lining is soft against the skin and quickly draws moisture up into wider eyelet openings on the outer side of the mesh where it quickly evaporates away.
Related article: Caring for your bike clothes
About Hincapie Sportswear
Hincapie Sportswear is driven of course by George Hincapie, a professional cyclist whose career spans nearly twenty years, including assisting in nine Tour de France victories. His company touts this experience as a key part in its apparel design, since Big George certainly has the time in the saddle which allows him to know what works and doesn't work in cycling apparel. Additionally, the Hincapie family has been involved in cycling since 1979, and has been in the apparel business for generations in Colombia and the United States. It only seems natural that these domains have become integrated into the Hincapie Sportswear cycling apparel brand.
Disclosure: Review samples were provided by the manufacturer. For more information, please see our Ethics Policy.