Hypothyroidism (Underactive Thyroid) - Herbal Remedies, Symptoms and Causes
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism are not that singular that may help in confirming the under activity of the thyroid gland. But careful observations of few symptoms can help to affirm hypothyroidism. These include fatigue and tiredness, menstrual disorders, heart palpitations, thrush, poor concentration, dry and brittle hair resulting in hair fall, pains in muscles and joints, abnormal weight gain and many more. Sometimes there is a swelling in the neck or larynx and the condition is called Goitre. Hypothyroidism can be diagnosed by testing the levels of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), T3 and T4 hormones and their interactions.
1. Deficiency of Iodine is the main cause of hypothyroidism.
2. Hashimoto's disease is an auto immune disease that affects the thyroid gland resulting in low production of hormones.
3. Due to any surgery performed on the thyroid gland the functioning of the gland is reduced.
4. Sometimes treatment of hyperthyroidism also reduces the level of thyroid hormones to a great extent below the normal.
5. Inflammation of the thyroid gland or Thyroiditis can reduce the functioning of the thyroid gland.
6. Underperformance of the pituitary gland also leads to hypothyroidism.
1. Iodine deficiency is one of the main causes of hypothyroidism, so inclusion of sea vegetables especially bladder wrack helps in raising the levels of thyroid hormones. Kelp seaweed is rich in iodine and antioxidants that helps in proper functioning of the thyroid gland.
2. Spirulina is advised by some naturopaths to treat Hypothyroidism.
3. Irish moss as suggested by the herbalists nourishes the thyroid gland that aids in its normal functioning.
4. For women the herb Black Cohosh helps to maintain the estrogen levels and is beneficial in hypothyroidism.
5. The herb Guggul is renowned for stimulating thyroid gland but proper consultation with the health experts are required before administering the extracts of this herb.
6. The fresh tincture of the herb Gotu kola is highly beneficial as it regulates the thyroid hormones and also the nervous system of the body.
7. The use of Siberian Ginseng in treating hypothyroidism gives good results as it regulates the hormone levels by assisting in functioning of the adrenal and the thymus glands.
Foods rich in trace elements like calcium, manganese, copper, neodymium, terbium helps the thyroid gland for smooth metabolism that helps in reducing hypothyroidism.